By Abigail Law – Reporter
A great way to get to know your flatmates or catch up after summer is over a well cooked meal. Each of these meals will feed a flat of four to six and they’re all within a student budget.
- 400g lamb mince (beef if lamb is unavailable)
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 400ml stock (from a stock cube)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- ½ tbsp of dried herbs
- 750g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 20g margarine (or enough to make the mash creamy)
- Brown the meat, add the carrots and onions. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir well to soak up the sauce
- Add the stock, soy sauce, tomato puree and dried herbs.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 20mins.
- Remove the lid and cook down until thick.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes until soft, add the margarine and mash
- Heat the oven to 200 C.
- Layer the mash over the meat mixture in a glass dish and cook for 20-30minutes until the top is just golden.
- Serve with some peas
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 jar of passata
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 ltre beef stock
- 240g drained tin tomatoes
- Fry onions until just turning brown.
- Add garlic and beef, cook until brown.
- Add passata, herbs and stock.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook until reduced by half.
- Add drained tomatoes and cook until meat is tender.
- Serve with cooked pasta or garlic bread.
Toad in the hole and mash
- 4 eggs
- 140g plain flour
- 200ml milk (soya works as well if dairy free)
- 10 thick sausages
- Large bag of potatoes, peaked and diced
- Heat oven to 220°c.
- Cut sausages to separate, lay in a large metal tray with deep sides (or do into two smaller ones) and cover with enough oil just to cover the base of the pan. Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the eggs, milk and flour until it forms a smooth batter.
- After the 15 minutes, remove the sausages from the oven and cover with the batter. Place back in the oven for 40 minutes until the Yorkshire pudding mix is lovely and golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes then mash them with the margarine.
- Serve the toad in the hole with the mash and some gravy.