To continue our series on Pokémon, today we’re giving you five facts about Pokémon that you probably didn’t know.
1) The spiral on the stomach of a Poliwag is meant to look like the intestines of a tadpole
2) Psychic Pokémon are weak to bug, ghost, and dark types because they represent the common fears of spiders, ghosts, and the dark
3) Lavender Town, in the Kanto Region, is blamed for a sharp rise in suicides in Japan shortly after the release of the original games
4) Professor Oak was originally intended to be a trainer – he was supposed to use a Tauros, Exeggutor, Arcanine, Gyarados, and the Starter Pokémon that neither the Player nor Gary Oak choose
5) In Japan, the main characters of the first generation, Ash and Gary, are called Satoshi and Shigeru, a reference to Satoshi Tajiri, creator of the Pokémon franchise, and Shigeru Miyamoto, responsible for series such as Mario, Donkey Kong, and The Legend of Zelda
Do you know any other facts about Pokémon? Let us know @UCLanPluto or leave a comment below