As you attend a northern uni, why don’t you decide to treat your flatmates to a succulent meat and potato pie by following the simple recipe below!
MEAT AND POTATO PIE
For the meaty-potato filling:
- 2.75kg of Braising Steak – Cut into chunks
- 3 Medium Onions – Chopped Roughly
- 2.75kg of potatoes – cubed
- 1 tbsp of beef extract
- 4 tbsp of beef gravy granules
For the pasty:
- 500g flour
- 2 tsp sale
- 125g Margarine
- 125g lard
- 125ml cold water
- 1 egg – beaten
- For the filling, boil both the steak and onions on a low heat until the meat is tender and onions are soft.
- To create the pastry, add the salt to the flour into a bowl then add the lard and margarine. Massage all ingredients together so there are no lumps of fat. Once it has the texture of breadcrumbs, then add water to make into a ball of dough. Once shaped into a ball then put it into the fridge to chill for 30 mins while the beef is cooking.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Cook the potatoes in salt until softened.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge, flour the side then cut into strips. Dampen a pie dish with water then place the strips of pastry along the pie dish.
- Strain the steak and onions, leaving the juices to the side. Once you’ve put the steak, onions and potatoes into the pie dish then add the remaining juices to the gravy granules and pour in then add the pastry strips on top to complete the pie. Be sure to add slits to the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with the beaten egg.
- Cook in the oven for 50-60 mins or until the casing is golden brown with a bubbling filling.
- Serve up with mash and some veg!