Match Report: Football 4ths Lose Five Goal Thriller

By Ashwin Shankar – Reporter

The UCLan football 4th team were unlucky to lose 3-2 against the University of Liverpool after a late goal secured the win for the away side at the UCLan Sports Arena.

It was a lively first half with chances being created at both ends with and the two defences looking shaky from the start of the game.

The visitors had the better of the opening exchanges between the two sides looking livelier than their hosts and their pressing game early in the first half paid off when they deservedly took the lead on the break.

It was a long ball into Liverpool’s front man who chested and played a neat one-two with the Reds winger before slotting home a cool finish past the helpless UCLan no.1 to give the visitors a well-deserved lead.

It took the home side just minutes to respond when UCLAN striker Harry was fed clean through on goal and equalised for the hosts with a low drive past the onrushing Liverpool no 1.

The home defence completely switched off allowing a quick explosive run by the Reds’ no 9, who saw his effort thwarted by a brilliant right handed save from the hosts’ goalkeeper to keep the score level.

The Merseysiders pressure finally paid off when their captain won a penalty following a clumsy challenge by the UCLan no.2 There were no complaints from the UCLan players towards a rather clearly justified penalty call for hand ball in the box.

Liverpool’s no 11 was given the responsibility of restoring the advantage and he did just that, placing his penalty to the bottom left corner fooling the goalkeeper into diving the wrong way.

It was an end-to end affair, and it was this rhythm in which UCLan got their second equaliser of the match.

Harry’s strike partner, the number 11 for UCLan, responded in stunning fashion with the best goal of the game- an overhead kick thrashing the back of the Liverpool net before the reds’ keeper could react. It was the last kick of an eventful first half.

Both sides produced an even second half which failed to live up to the drama offered in the first half.

Liverpool stole all three points in a dramatic final few minutes when their striker capitalised on a horrendous mistake between both UCLan defenders who clashed for the same ball and missed it.

It fell perfectly for the number six who stole all three points for the visitors with a great finish, condemning UCLan to a home defeat.

The UCLan captain said: “I’m gutted. We played really well particularly in the second half. I thought we did enough to win the game let alone a draw, so the loss is disappointing.

They made a few mistakes and we failed to put them away. They punished us for our mistakes and that is why we lost “

Skip to toolbar