Match Report: PNE 0-0 Wolves

By Andy Jones – Reporter

It was a frustrating afternoon for Preston North End as they battled to a 0-0 draw with Wolves.

PNE were left to rue a host of missed chances with Jordan Hugill missing a great opportunity with seconds remaining which could have handed Preston all three points.

Wolves struggled to fire offensively themselves but they left Deepdale with a hard-fought point in Paul Lambert’s first game in charge.

The first half featured very few chances with only one shot on target being registered between the two sides as both midfields attempted to gain control of the game.

Callum Robinson was one of the more threatening Preston players and he registered the home sides first shot on target but his curled effort, from the edge of the area, was straight at Wolves goalkeeper Andy Lonergan on 27 minutes.

Wolves winger, Helder Costa, then caused problems for the Lilywhites down the left side just before the half hour mark as he danced past three players before seeing his shot blocked by Tom Clarke.

The midfield battle continued with neither side creating any clear-cut chances. Aiden McGeady had the chance to play Ben Pearson through on goal as Preston launched a counter attack but he lost control of the ball and the chance was gone.

Simon Grayson’s side began the second half the better of the two teams and Hugill’s header back across goal was inviting but nobody was alert for home side to get on the end of it before Paul Gallagher blasted a shot just over.

It was Wolves’ turn to fire just wide as good play down the right saw a cross find Saville at the back post. He laid the ball off to the advancing Doherty but he dragged his shot wide.

PNE went close again as McGeady’s freekick from the left side of the area was whipped into to a dangerous area but Hugill could only head wide with just under 20 minutes remaining.

The home side continued to get closer as Alex Baptiste found space on the right before delivering an inch perfect cross onto the head of substitute Simon Makienok but he could only guide the header just over the bar.

Jon Dadi Bodvarsson nearly nicked one for the away side but was beaten to the teasing cross by goalkeeper Chris Maxwell who reacted well.

Preston were then aggrieved to not be awarded a penalty after Marnick Vermijl was brought down in the area. The referee said no but the ball was kept alive and McGeady blasted one into the side netting.

A determined run from Dominic Iorfa saw his deflected effort land to Bodvarsson but his overhead kick sailed over the bar before Nouha Dicko glanced a header into the arms of Maxwell.

Wolves still had time for their best chance of the game as substitues Cavaleiro and Dicko combined again with Dicko heading just wide from six yards out.

With seconds remaining though North End had the best chance of the game as Hugill was sent clean through on goal after a slip from a Wolves defender but he hit his effort over the bar when he should have scored.

In the end, PNE will be disappointed not to come away from the game with all three points.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Skip to toolbar