Match Report: PNE 1-1 Burton Albion

By Jack Portley - Deputy Sports Editor

Preston North End could only manage a 1-1 draw against Burton Albion on a chilly Saturday afternoon at Deepdale.

Jackson Irvine put Burton in front midway through the first half before Callum Robinson equalised for the Lilywhites in first half stoppage time.

The visitors made a blistering start to the game as Ben Turner’s header crashed against the bar from a corner.

The Yellows weren’t slowing down either as chances for Lloyd Dyer and Lucas Akins nearly broke the deadlock.

Preston looked half asleep but Aiden McGeady had their first real chance in the 20th minute, however from outside the box he blazed his effort over the bar.

Burton did take the lead moments later though as Irvine reacted quickest to a loose ball in the box following a corner and fired past Maxwell.

The hosts seemed to be getting back into the game and nearly equalised through Robinson after McGeady played him in, but the striker’s effort was denied by Jon McLaughlin.

Robinson made no mistake in first half stoppage time however as he turned home a low Greg Cunningham cross to bring Preston back on level terms.

The home side nearly turned it around straight after the restart. Daniel Johnson’s shot was defected and fell to Alex Baptiste whose shot was straight at the keeper.

North End were far the better team after the break and on the hour mark, Ben Pearson had an effort from outside the box which flashed just wide of the post.

The away side were defending well as McGeady had two efforts deflected for corners in the last ten minutes.

Burton didn’t pose much threat in the second half but five minutes from time almost nicked it when Matt Palmer’s free-kick went over the bar.

The two sides couldn’t be separated though and had to settle for a point apiece. Preston now drop to 12th, three home games in a row without a win.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Skip to toolbar