Match report: PNE 1-3 Brentford

By Jack Wynne – Sports Editor

Preston’s unbeaten run came to an end against Brentford as the Bees swarmed to a 3-1 victory at Deepdale.

Defeats means North End slip down two places into 15th whilst Brentford are now up to 10th.

Preston went behind after Jake Bidwell’s free kick deflected off Greg Cunningham leaving Preston goalkeeper Sam Johnstone helpless in goal.

Adam Reach equalized for North End minutes after Brentford took the lead, collecting the ball from Joe Garner before directing the ball into the bottom corner.

Brentford’s top scorer Alan Judge made sure the Bees had an advantage going into half-time, curling the ball past Sam Johnstone to score his 12th of the season.

John Swift added a third for Brentford in the final stages, his shot taking a wicked deflection leaving Johnstone helpless.

There was just one change to the North End team which started against Ipswich Town last week, Adam Reach returning from injury to replace Alan Browne.

Brentford made four changes to the side which lost against Burnley last week, Sam Saunders, Josh McEachran, Lasse Vibe and Yoann Barbet coming in for Jack O’Connell, Toumani Diagouraga, Sergi Canos and Marco Djuricin.

Brentford took the lead in the 23rd minute, Bidwell’s curling free kick from the right hand side on the edge of the area being diverted past by Cunningham into the back of his own net.

The Bees were in front for just two minutes, Reach receiving the ball from Garner before firing a low shot which nestled into the bottom corner.

34 minutes played, Paul Gallagher looked to test Brentford goalkeeper David Button from distance but could not direct his first time shot on target.

Judge restored Brentford’s lead just before the interval, cutting past Greg Cunningham on the right hand side before curling the ball past Johnstone from inside the box.

Ryan Woods took aim from distance but his speculative shot flew wide of the post.

Into the second half, Saunders had a chance to increase Brentford’s lead but his low effort was straight at Johnstone.

50 minutes gone, Eoin Doyle spurned a big chance to put North End back on level terms, firing wide with just the goalkeeper to beat, after Garner’s ball in behind.

At the other end, Bidwell’s cross from the left found Vibe inside the box but he could only head the ball over the bar.

Daniel Johnson shaped up to shoot from outside the box but failed to test Button with a wayward effort.

Calum Woods curled a shot from inside the box which Button could only flap at.

70 minutes played, Paul Huntington rattled the woodwork with a header following Paul Gallagher’s cross from the left.

Johnson’s driven effort was almost diverted in by Garner but for the fingertips of Button, who palmed the ball onto the bar.

Swift scored Brentford’s third in the 79th minute, his driven shot taking a deflection and looping past Johnstone.

Substitute Jordan Hugill failed to make Button work four minutes from time, directing a powerful header straight at the Brentford stopper after Adam Reach’s cross.

After the match PNE manager Simon Grayson felt his side didn’t capitalize when they were in the ascendancy in the second half which is why they didn’t get anything out of the match.

He told PNE PlayerHD, the club’s online TV channel: “We had some really good opportunities, but we didn’t take them.

“We had some good play, our tempo was better with and without the ball and ultimately at crucial stages of the game we didn’t take our chances when they came along.”

PNE: Johnstone, Woods (Vermijl, 79), Wright, Huntington, Cunningham, Gallagher (c), Pearson (Robinson, 62), Johnson, Reach, Doyle (Hugill, 62) and Garner. Subs not used: Kirkland, Vermijl, Kilkenny, Browne and Welsh

Brentford: Button, Colin, Bidwell (c), Dean, Saunders (Canos, 78), McEachran (Kerschbaumer, 74), Woods, Judge, Swift (Yennaris, 89), Vibe and Barbet. Subs not used: Bonham, Hofmann, O’Connell and Gogia

Attendance: 11,080 (598 Brentford fans)

Referee: David Webb (Lancashire)








Skip to toolbar