Match report: Reading 1-2 PNE

Photo by Tim Regan / CC BY

By Jack Wynne – Sports Editor

PNE secured all three points with a goal in stoppage time, winning 2-1 against Reading at the Madejski Stadium.

North End took the lead just before the hour mark, Jermaine Beckford picking up a flicked header before slotting the ball past Reading goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi.

Stephen Quinn equalized for the Royals in the 85th minute, guiding the ball beyond Chris Kirkland and into the bottom corner.

Just as the game looked to be heading for a draw, Daniel Johnson slotted the ball into the bottom corner with a composed finish inside the box.

PNE manager Simon Grayson made two changes from the defeat against Burnley, Paul Huntington replacing the injured Tom Clarke whilst Johnson came in for Ben Pearson in midfield.

Paul Gallagher looked to test Al-Habsi in the 15th minute, shooting straight at the Reading stopper before Calum Woods followed up with a rebound only to be denied once more.

Danny Williams tried his luck from distance but his driven shot flew straight over the bar.

Joe Garner spurned a good chance to break the deadlock, directing Gallagher’s free-kick straight into the hands of Al-Habsi.

A minute later, Beckford went close, his deflected shot just ending up the wrong side of the post after Johnson’s cut back.

38 minutes played, Beckford and Garner combined before the latter fired wide from an acute angle.

Gallagher picked out Adam Reach, who was also denied by Al-Habsi, after his shot from the edge of the box.

Beckford broke the deadlock in the 56th minute, receiving the ball from a flicked header before guiding the ball past Al-Habsi.

Josh Barrett almost levelled the scores for the hosts, dragging his shot wide from outside the box.

Quinn pulled Reading level with five minutes of normal time remaining, finding the bottom corner with a curling effort from the edge of the area.

Johnson secured all three points for PNE in the 2nd minute of stoppage time, showing composure to guide the ball past Al-Habsi inside the box.

After the match, Grayson showed his appreciation for the travelling North End supporters and was glad to secure the win for them.

The North End boss added that they could have wrapped the game up in the first half and was glad to see a really high intensity after the last few results.

Reading: Al-Habsi, McCleary, Gunter, Cooper, McShane, Evans (Barrett 46), Norwood, Quinn, Williams, Kermorgant and Rakels. Subs not used: Bond, Taylor, Vydra, Ferdinand, Cox and Watson.

PNE: Kirkland, Woods, Huntington, Wright, Cunningham (Vermijl 66), Reach, Gallagher, Johnson, Browne, Garner (Doyle 84) and Beckford (Hugill 84). Subs not used: Hudson, Kilkenny, Pearson and Robinson.

Referee: Darren Deadman (Cambridgeshire)

Attendance: 15,834 (778 PNE fans)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Skip to toolbar