Match report: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 PNE

Photo by Bex Walton / CC BY

By Jack Wynne – Sports Editor

Adam Reach scored the decisive goal as PNE secured an impressive 2-1 victory against Wolves at Molineux.

Paul Gallagher silenced the home crowd early on, chipping the ball over Wolves goalkeeper Carl Ikeme and into the back of the net.

Reach extend North End’s advantage not long after the interval, latching onto Calum Woods’ cross before finding the bottom corner from inside the box.

Joe Mason reduced the deficit for the hosts, taking the ball past Anders Lindegaard before firing into the net, despite the best efforts of Calum Woods on the line.

PNE manager Simon Grayson decided to make two changes from the side which beat Huddersfield Town last week, replacing Jordan Hugill and Callum Robinson with Paul Huntington and Daniel Johnson.

Jack Price replaced Kevin McDonald in just the one change for Wolves, following their draw away to Reading.

Gallagher looked to test Ikeme in the 15th minute, but his arrowing shot from distance sailed over the bar.

Two minutes later, Gallagher atoned for his earlier miss, lofting the ball over Ikeme after a neat passage of play between him and Joe Garner.

Nathan Byrne’s free-kick from the edge of the box struck the post as Wolves went in search of an equalizer.

Rajiv van La Parra failed to worry PNE goalkeeper Anders Lindegaard when he sent a shot from distance straight over the bar.

Wolves found themselves further behind eight minutes into the second half, Reach’s low shot inside the box flying into the bottom corner, leaving Ikeme helpless.

Gallagher almost scored his second, sending a shot from distance narrowly wide just before the hour mark.

Mason pulled a goal back for Wolves seven minutes later, rounding Lindegaard and putting the ball past Woods and into the back of the net.

Alan Browne had a chance to extend PNE’s lead but his weak effort was too close to Ikeme.

Grayson was happy to win away from home and commended his side for executing their game plan.

“We dominated the first half, never really allowed them near our goal because of how we played,” he told BBC Radio Lancashire.

“We controlled it for large parts, but also looked a threat going forward, overall a really pleasing, professional performance.”

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ikeme, Iorfa, Batth, Ebanks-Landell, Doherty, Price, Coady, Saville (Rowe, 85), van La Parra (Mason, 45), Henry (Byrne, 18) and Sigurdason. Subs not used: Martinez, Deslandes, McDonald and Le Fondre.

PNE: Lindegaard, Woods, Clarke, Huntington, Wright, Cunningham, Browne, Gallagher (Welsh, 67), Johnson, Reach and Garner (Doyle, 86). Subs not used: Kirkland, Vermijl, Kilkenny, Robinson and Hugill.

Referee: Kevin Johnson (Somerset)

Attendance: 21,204 (1,504 PNE)



Skip to toolbar