PNE 1-1 Bristol City

By Connor Billingtonpne vs bristol city

It ended all square between the top two teams in League One as a Wilbraham header levelled things up after Jermaine Beckford put Preston ahead.

Beckford was left with a tap-in after Gallagher was only able to scuff his effort across goal.

The league leaders quickly cancelled out his goal when a free-kick found Aden Flint at the back-post, the League One Player of the Month headed it back across goal to leave Wilbraham to head home from yards out.

The clash had a very competitive start with both sides just trying to feel their way in to the game, Bristol were able to pick up a couple of early free-kick, the latter of which Freeman took, his effort found the side-netting.

The games first real chance came when Wilbraham got a slight touch with his head to send the ball towards goal, only a wonderful reaction save from Sam Johnstone denied the striker a goal.

On the half hour mark, Preston struck the post when Jermaine Beckford produced an overhead kick out of nothing.

Both sides were having a good go at each other, but at the same time, cancelling each other out.

Early in the second half, Johnson made some space for himself and was able to push on in to the area but the midfielder could only send his effort over the bar.

Two minutes later and a golden chance fell to the visitors, Wilbraham got on the end of Tavernier’s cross and Johnstone produced another wonderful save, tipping the ball on to the bar, the ball came out as far as Freeman, but his shot was well blocked.

Paul Gallagher then had two efforts at goal, the first of which was blocked by the Bristol defence, then after pushing forward towards goal, he was only able to direct an effort wide of the right-hand post.

Just shy of the hour mark came the breakthrough, after the ball fell to Gallagher in the area, the loanee was only able to scuff his shot and send it across the area but Jermaine Beckford was on hand to tap the ball home and put his side ahead, this goal only increased the atmosphere of the 16,000+ crowd inside Deepdale.

But the home side’s lead was short lived, four minutes later, a free-kick was delivered and Flint headed the ball back across goal allowing Wilbraham to get his head to it and drag his side back on to level terms.

Joe Bryan was beginning to cause Preston more and more problems down the left hand side, it took a wonderful piece of back-tracking from Chris Humphrey to stop the youngster in his tracks.

Bryan then found an opening down the left but could only send his effort high and wide of Johnstone’s goal.

The visitors were putting pressure on the home side now, Agard then did well on the edge of the area, got himself room to get a shot off but again Johnstone was equal to it and palmed it out for a corner.

The game finished 1-1, a fair and useful result for both sides, Bristol City are now so close to mathematically sealing promotion, whilst Preston remain five ahead of third-placed MK Dons.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Skip to toolbar