In the honour of the Great British Bake Off coming back to our TV screens Pluto will be a different recipe each week inspired by the show itself. Due to Bake Off starting this week we thought we would treat you to a traditional cake with a fruity twist.
By Abigail Law – Reporter
- 225g margarine
- 225g plain flour
- 225g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100ml milk (or enough to make batter able to pour)
- Large handful of raspberries
- Raspberry jam
- Plain icing
- Food colouring
1. Warm oven to 200°c
2. First cream the margarine and sugar together until fluffy.
3. Mix in eggs in one at a time, then add the vanilla extract
4. Add the remaining cake ingredients and fold until it becomes one smooth mixture. (At this stage it should be easy to pour, if not a more milk bit by bit)
5. Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin (I recommend a loose bottom one)
6. Bake the cake for 40 minutes or until a skewer put in the centre of the cake comes out clean with no wet mixture on it.
7. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature, while doing this roll out the icing until big enough to completely cover the cake.
8. Heat up jam so that it becomes runny, then brush onto the cooled cake.
9. Carefully lift up the icing and place onto the cake, smoothing it all the way down.
10. Using a cookie cutter, gently press into the icing to leave the impression and paint with the food colouring.